Want to Get Involved?
Volunteer registration for the Orangutan Run 2018 is now open.
Run volunteers — up to 300 strong — represent the best that Sandakan has to offer: They’re helpful, enthusiastic, friendly, and proud of our amazing city.
Fulfilling a volunteer opportunity on race day is a great way to be part of this event and contribute your time towards fund raising for a nobal cause - the wildlife - the conservation of the orangutan, something very close to us in Sandakan.
Please complete the simple form here so that we can keep your informed of the volunteering activites as we get closer to the run date.
Upon registering for a volunteer role, you’ll receive an automatic email confirmation; you will then receive more information closer to race day.
All volunteers must complete the form, provide a valid email address and a mobile telephone number.
The Organising Committee.
Please review the following general volunteer guidelines. As the 2017 Run approaches, we will provide you with more information about your role. Once you’re registered as a Run Volunteer, you’ll receive our email updates.
- Volunteer registration will close on 45 days before the run. Volunteers must register online in advance; walk-ups will not be accepted. Age restrictions apply - you have to be 16 and above.
- If you need to cancel, please email us as soon as possible.
- Please arrive on time for your assignment.
- Please do not bring a bag. Bags thicker than an envelope and larger than a fist will not be permitted on the course. Small waistpacks are permitted.
- If you must bring a bag, you will have to check it at volunteer check-in for safe-keeping. The organising committee is not responsible for lost or stolen bags. Bikes must be secured at the bike rack nearest your location.
- Please plan to assist for your entire assigned shift. If you leave early, you may compromise the safety of runners or spectators. If you need to leave early in the case of an emergency, please notify your captain.
- Start, finish, transportation, fluid station, and course volunteers will receive a thank-you gift. All volunteers will receive a commemorative pin when they check out.
- Pets are not permitted.In the interest of safety, please do not bring your children with you unless they are registered as volunteers. Parents/guardians may register children ages 12-17 to volunteer at fluid stations only; children ages 12−15 must be accompanied and supervised by a parent or guardian.
When you register to volunteer with us, we ask you to honor these standards of conduct:
- Conduct yourself as a friendly, responsible, informative, and respectful representative of Orangutan Run 2017.
- Treat everyone with respect and courtesy.
- Refrain from public criticism of participants and other volunteers.
- Refrain from the use of profane, insulting, harassing, or otherwise offensive language while volunteering, including in social media postings of any kind.
- The use of drugs*, alcohol, and tobacco are prohibited throughout the run.
- Follow the directions of your team captain.
* Please be informed, the possession of illegal drugs carries a mandatory death sentence in Malaysia.